New here, saying Hi!

Moving your workflow into Vim has enormous benefits. The start can be painful as things you currently do quickly are a little slower, but every investment you make pays huge repeatable dividends later. I used to consider myself fast when I worked in Sublime (I had a pretty sharpened configuration, good muscle memory), but there are some truly amazing things you can do in Vim. I’ve also found that Vimmers love sharing their tricks, so there’s always more improvements you can pick up.

I think about it like playing guitar: the basics are really accessible, but there’s always something new to master, and folks of different experience levels often can both teach tricks to each other. Whenever I pair with someone else in Vim I try to absorb something about their setup or use of Vim.

@benorenstein had some great advice in this talk he gave to Rails developers about Vim, which is to always be trying to learn a handful of things at once. Keep a list of the ten things you’re working on (ten is a handful, right?) and check it often. Take things you learned or really aren’t practicing off, and replace them with new things that you are experimenting with. If you notice yourself avoiding the new thing (mine currently is using marks more often), undo to the point where you can use the new trick, and do it again with the trick.

This is a great forum to ask questions and share your learning with the rest of the forum members. Welcome.

1 Like