Performance issues with Vim, Tmux and iTerm

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry for not being able to respond in quite some time. I’ve been busy as hell.

In the meantime I’ve made a switch to Neovim with addition of vim-test, neoterm and fzf plugins. This setup made tmux (almost) obsolete for my everyday work, including some of the vim plugins I was using earlier.
I’m not experiencing any performance issues whatsoever.

However, for future reference and possibility of helping someone with similar problems, I’ll answer your questions:

@sajoku

• There were so many plugins I installed and removed during this whole process, I can’t even remember. I was always managing my plugins with Plug (install/clean).

• The lag is present in autocomplete, opening files with more than around 200 LOC, opening files after searching with CtrlP, etc…

• I went through that lazyredraw issue, removed the setting and nothing changed

@christoomey

• The slowness is even more noticeable when running inside tmux
  • Without loading vimrc, everything runs smoothly. I didn’t have enough time lately to go through with the enabling setting by setting…I realize this is my best shot to find the cause of the issue.
  • One more thing, I installed thoughtbot’s laptop script with dotfiles and the lag was very much present.

@bambycha

• The issue was present even while I was on Yosemite. I haven’t tried building Vim from source, though.

I see now there are couple of more things I could try to resolve this issue. So, I’ll try enabling settings and plugins one by one and see what happens. If I come up with nothing I’ll try building from source. Either way, I’ll report my findings here!!!