Integration vs Unit Testing

My history with OS X is a complex and sorry story, but here’s a summary:

I used Linux for seven or eight years before getting frustrated with it in 2007. I was tired of fighting video cards, Wifi adapters, and chasing down new hardware glitches with system updates. There was also a lot of conflict in the community around things like compositing window managers and cross-desktop preferences. It seemed like KDE4 would never be released and every other system felt like it was moving faster. I switched to OS X in 2007 out of the hopes that it would be an easier system to maintain.

Although it did have excellent hardware support, I found that it required no less effort to maintain after updates. Developer tools like GCC, Ruby, and Vim, tmux debuggers were broken for me between most major releases. This was made more frustrating by the fact that Apple was clearly dedicating most of its resources towards mobile development, so people using OS X as a web development platform had their bugs and request de-prioritized.

After OS X proved to be no easier to use (for a developer) than Linux, I decided to switch back. If you’re going to spend time maintaining a system, it may as well be open source.

One nice thing about being away from Linux for almost a decade is that most of the things that bugged me before have been fixed in the mean time, and most of the conflicts I remembered have been resolved and forgotten by most of the community. Leaving some of the tools I loved has also given me a greater appreciation for them now that I have them back. Although I doubt I’ll ever switch back to OS X, I’m glad that I used it for a while. I think trying another system is good for you.

4 Likes