Intermediate workshop 3rd video assignment

@halogenandtoast
Just like you created a concern for the model I created a concern for the controllers called Shoutable.

But all I could do is

module Shoutable
  def build_shout(content)
    current_user.shouts.build(content: content)
  end
end 

class TextShoutsController < ApplicationController
  include Shoutable
  def create
	  content = build_content
		shout = build_shout(content)
		if shout.save
	  else
	  	flash.alert = "Could not shout"
	  end
	  redirect_to dashboard_path
	end

The create method is also duplicated but should I move that too because redirect_to and the create method I feel should be in the controller

I tend to agree that the redirect_to and the create action should be in the controller. One thing you might consider is trying to merge the TextShoutsController and PhotoShoutsController into 1 controller. You can do this if you update your form to pass along the name of the content class and use a sprinkling of metaprogramming to get the class (i.e. TextShout or PhotoShout). In addition to that, strong_parameters has a method #permit! which allows you to permit any attributes. Since weā€™d be okay permitting any of the attributes on the content class this makes it so we donā€™t have to keep track of which content classes contain what fields. Iā€™d see how far you can get with trying to merge TextShoutsController and PhotoShoutsController into a single ShoutsController.

Ya I could try that. Will let you know once I try that.

Thanks.

Hi @halogenandtoast, what do you think about this refactoring?

The forms here app/views/dashboards/show.html.erb looks like:

<%= form_for @dashboard.new_text_shout, url: shouts_path do |form| %>
  <%= form.text_field :body, placeholder: 'Shout content here' %>
  <%= hidden_field_tag :shout_type, 'text' %>
  <%= form.submit 'Shout!' %>
<% end %>

<%= form_for @dashboard.new_photo_shout, url: shouts_path do |form| %>
  <%= form.file_field :image %>
  <%= hidden_field_tag :shout_type, 'photo' %>
  <%= form.submit 'Shout!' %>
<% end %>

<%= render @dashboard.timeline %>

And the controller app/controllers/shouts_controller.rb is the only controllers for shouts refactored like this:

class ShoutsController < ApplicationController
  def show
    @shout = Shout.find(params[:id])
  end

def create
    content = build_content
    shout = current_user.shouts.build(content: content)
    unless shout.save
      flash.alert = "Could not shout."
    end
  end

private

def shout_type
    params[:shout_type]
  end

def build_content
    eval("#{shout_type}Shout".classify).new(eval("#{shout_type}_shout_parameters"))
  end

def text_shout_parameters
    params.require(:text_shout).permit(:body)
  end

def photo_shout_parameters
    params.require(:photo_shout).permit(:image)
  end
end

My repo is here: https://github.com/matjack1/intermediate-rails

Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

@matjack1 you nailed it.

Even I tried a solution but with a similar project.

You can use permit! to do away with the parameters method. And use params[:content_type]. This was suggested by @halogenandtoast. Even I am waiting for his reply.

Thank you @charlieanna!

Yes, I used shout_type, instead of content_type, but the principle is the same as yours. I think your solution is better than mine because it works also when editing the form (you take the class name, while I have hardcoded the type).

If itā€™s the good approach Iā€™ll refactor following your approach. Do you have a public repo for your project? It would be interesting for me to take a look. Thank you!

Also notice the permit! I used as suggested by Goose.

Yes, I noticed it, but I prefer to permit the fields per single type, so I can better check the parameters and not allow everything together.

Yes even I was confused with the idea of using permit! so let us wait for Mattā€™s reply. @halogenandtoast you listening?

The usage of permit! should be sparingly but I think in the case of the TextShout and PhotoShout they represent the part of the shout the user has control over and therefor I am okay with using permit!. The other thing I like doing here is changing the form_for a bit to something like:

<%= shout_form_for(TextContent.new) do |form| %>
  <%= form.text_field :body, placeholder: "Shout here" %>
  <%= form.submit "Shout!" %>
<% end %>

And then I use the following helper:

module ShoutHelper
  def shout_form_for(content, &block)
    form_for(Shout.new(content: content)) do |form|
      form.hidden_field(:content_type) +
        form.fields_for(:content, &block)
    end
  end
end

And then in my controller:

def create
    shout = current_user.shouts.create(shout_params)
  end

private

def shout_params
    { content: shout_content }
  end

def shout_content
    content_class.new(content_params)
  end

def content_class
    params[:shout][:content_type].constantize
  end

def content_params
    params[:shout][:content].permit!
  end

I use this format because itā€™s pretty versatile and will grow well with the application if the existing content types change.

2 Likes

Ah, this is a very nice refactoring. The extraction to the helper wasnā€™t obvious to me, thank you for posting it Matthew!

Yes, thank you very much for sharing the refactor.

I donā€™t get how you can pass the TextContent object to the content of the Shout and everything works magically :smile:

I had the same doubt in the ShoutsController#create, I donā€™t understand where you see the match between content and content_type. I donā€™t know if itā€™s clear my doubt. Thanks!

This line:

form_for(Shout.new(content: content)) do |form|

assigns the content to the new Shout, so this Shoutā€™s content_type field will take the TextShout or PhotoShout value, according to the argument passed to shout_form_for.

In the controller, the content_class method takes the content_type param from the hidden field and uses constantize to generate the corresponding class (i.e: converts a "TextShout" string to a TextShout class). That class is used in shout_content to generate the object that will be assigned as content to the new Shout.

2 Likes

Ok @raul, thank you very much!

It was also unclear the polymorphic association. Rails works out automatically the content_type and content_id just pasing the TextContent.new object. I was also missing this last bit of magic!

This screencast made it clear to me: #154 Polymorphic Association (revised) - RailsCasts (sorry for the paywall :frowning:), much more than the Rails documentation.