Managing Production Applications

Take a peek behind the scenes at some of features and workflows we've built up to help support Upcase as a production application and manage it across the varied environments of development, staging, and production.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://thoughtbot.com/upcase/videos/managing-production-applications

Loved the concept of Masquerading as a User and such a simple way of achieving it. In a previous position, there was something that was implemented that was similar to this, but far more complicated.

Loved this episode. As for staging apps @christoomey , do you guys usually use the free tier of Heroku or pay the same amount as the production app?

Great video. Similar to @antwonlee id like to know if you have heroku apps for each developer as they work on features and want to demo them live withot distirbing the staging server.

This is a feature of the heroku pipeline and in a previous video it was mentioned thoughtbot were experimenting with this. How expensive does your heroku bill become?

For staging on Heroku weā€™ll typically have matching addons, but lower levels and lower dyno counts. This seems to provide a good compromise between staging<->production parity and cost effectiveness. Of course varies on app by app basis, but thatā€™s the general idea.

We tend not to have dedicated test instances, although some thoughtbotters have started using pipelines and review apps for pull requests. Iā€™m very intrigued by review apps, but havenā€™t tried them myself.

2 Likes

Wow. Thatā€™s dedication. For some apps that have so many addons, I wonder doing pipelines and review apps with pull requests is more cost efficient.

By the way, @christoomey you will be missed in this Upcase land.

Hello, I am somewhat new to rails and am stuck on the config part. I donā€™t have a RailsAdmin. I am not sure what that is and what it does and where to get it and how it interacts with the User model. Any help would be appreciated.