Tmux Part 6: Learning More

Learning More Although we've covered a lot of material in these videos, there is always more to learn. Tmux, like Vim, is a tool that I continue to learn about and grow with as my projects and workflows evolve over time. In this last video, we wa...
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://thoughtbot.com/upcase/videos/tmux-learning-more

This is one of the best courses I have ever done. Thanks for all the work and generous knowledge shared, a great compliment to my existing VIM setup. Since adopting TMUX only a couple of weeks ago, I have re-watched this course maybe 3 times, and by the third viewing finally adopted pretty much all the recommended settings. Note that TMUX 2.6 (you were using v1.9) had a few changes to the copy / paste behaviour. Used

vi like copy paste behaviour

bind-key -Tcopy-mode-vi β€˜v’ send -X begin-selection
bind-key -Tcopy-mode-vi β€˜y’ send -X copy-selection
bind-key -Tcopy-mode-vi Escape send -X cancel
bind-key -Tcopy-mode-vi V send -X rectangle-toggle

Also, found the book TMUX 2 Productive Mouse-Free Development by B.Hogan a good read (very short) to accompany the material here. Any other participants interested in comparing my current tmux.conf, then please see https://github.com/arcseldon/dotfiles-vim/blob/master/tmux.conf - any recommendations on how to improve it welcome. But the combination of MacOSX, iTerm2, TMUX, and VIM is a compelling. Am comfortable with VIM and use it for everything languages wise, but do occasionally switch to a JetBrains IDE for debugging capabilities only.

Out of interest, since the time of the recordings, are Upcase still vested in Tmux / any other developments since? Was reading here - Ditching tmux | Hacker News

1 Like

Hi @arcseldon, thanks so much for the kind words and the updated copy & paste config!

I can’t speak for everyone at thoughtbot, but I know many of us are still using Vim + tmux as our primary editor config. I certainly am! My workflow remains very close to what I captured in the series, and I’m very happy with it.

1 Like