What to test in Rails in controller/view/request/feature tests respectively? A best practice?

So I just started learning testing this week, when I scaffold something, Rails generates a lot of things in /spec folder. Some of them are clear, while the other remains gray to me even after Googling for two days. To name my confusions:

1. Controllers: unit test or functional test? Or put in another word, does it get to touch real model or stubbed one?
  2. Controllers: do I test authentication or authorization paths, given that I unit tested policies (authorization rules)? Or should I just stub them out and only test normal cases (authenticated and authorized ones)?
  3. Views: do I test them? Iā€™ve been told both do and do-not, whatā€™s the benefit or necessity?
  4. Requests: is this where I put my integration tests? Do I need to test every corner case, coz it is a lot considering authentication and authorization even for simplest CRUD resources.
  5. Features: so I guess I only test some major usage paths here right? Whatā€™s the boundary between feature tests and integration test?

Dying to clear my head out now, really appreciate your options!

Iā€™d highly recommend to look through the following. If youā€™re new to testing, iā€™d suggest to start with rails defaults: minitest and fixtures

http://sam-koblenski.blogspot.ca/2014/06/rspec-or-minitest-how-does-one-choose.html

MiniTest: Refactoring Test Unit and RSpec back to version 0.0.1 by Jared Ning MiniTest: Refactoring Test Unit and RSpec back to version 0.0.1 by Jared Ning - YouTube

https://whatdoitest.com/getting-friendly-with-fixtures

Also recommend these resources.

1 Like

These are all great resources. If I had to do it over and I was just getting into testing, the books I would read in this order are:

1. Everyday Rails Testing withā€¦ by Aaron Sumner [PDF/iPad/Kindle] - Itā€™s good for understanding the basics of RSpec and itā€™s syntax. Itā€™s a great walkthrough of basic testing in Rails.
  2. Rails 4 Test Prescriptions by Rappin - This is a bit more higher level and less syntax-oriented and goes into principles/guidelines (e.g., what to test in a model, what makes great tests). Iā€™m currently reading this and finding it to be a great read.
3 Likes

@ZombieHarvester @Jared_Smith @treble37 : thank you all for these great resources, Iā€™ll definitely look into them.