How do you start a product if you have an idea about it?

This is more related to the @cpytel workshop on product development. I see that there a lot of conferences that happen like on rails and ruby which are attended by 100s of people. Now each audience has their own questions to ask. I just wanted to know how do you guys answer those questions? I wanted to create a product where anyone from the audience could ask a question from this mobile or the web and the other audiences could vote them and the question with the most the votes would get displayed on the screen and those will be answered by the guys on the panel.

@cpytel do you have any thoughts on this idea or has this one has already been implemented?

Hi @charlieanna,

Take a look at Google Moderator: Google Search Help

I think it does what you’re thinking.

I’ve found that something like moderator or what you’re hoping to build works best for panel discussions and Q&A sessions, not for questions right after your presentation.

That being said, most sessions I see just have a moderator who comes with some questions and then they take questions from the audience by having microphones in the audience. I’m not sure that the sessions I’ve seen that used Google moderator (which have been a handful) have been really any better than doing it manually.

@cpytel Thanks for the response. But I have attended many events for starts and entrepreneurship but I havent ever seen google moderator being used. There was a start up in SIngapore called Pigeon Hole that did that but was really used buy Amazon, Oracle etc for events.
But they never tried to get into India. I have not seen any such thing being implemented here in events.

So do you think that might open a slight product opportunity in my local area? And how would you give it a try if to see that the idea is valid and could be implemented as a startup?

I mean how do you initially test your ideas without writing any code? I heard from Dan that flinto is a good tool for prototyping.

Yeah, using something like Flinto you can put together a mockup of how your app would work.

Next, you meet with potential customers and show them what you’re offering. Learn from them, and get their buy-in that this is something that they would use and pay for.

@charlieanna - I highly recommend creating a business model canvas first before wireframing or developing anything. LeanStack.com is a great place to do this and they let you create one business model canvas for free, which should be more than enough at your fingertips to get you started.

The reason I say do the Business Model Canvas first is because these days most people build products backwards, like in the example below, which is one of the biggest reasons why most of them fail:

Good luck and happy holidays! :smile:

Thanks Will. I have done that course on udacity by Steve Blank. I really loved his way but my question would be then how do get customers to talk to them. I built a basic prototype www.askyourquestion.in and went to a start event today and talked about it and did receive some interest because the prototype was ready.

No prob @charlieanna - that’s great you did the Steve Blank course. In that case, I would start first with your early adopters, be perseverant and setup appointments with them. You’ll need to identify what your key performance indicators are that will allow you to be cash-flow positive at a specific point in the future, and then talk to several customers to identify exactly what the minimum viable product is going to be based on their feedback that will allow you to get the most traction to get you to break-even and beyond.

This is easy to say but obviously very difficult to do. So again it comes down to being perseverant. :slight_smile: You may also want to do some research on who the biggest influencers are in your product-market that would already be very knowledgable and have a track record of success - engage them and get them to mentor you. LinkedIn, AngelList and Crunchbase are three places you can go to start digging for this info.

Feel free to reach out to me anytime w/ follow-up questions.