Javascript framework

Which javascript framework is more closer to the MVC pattern like in Ruby On Rails?

I use Angular.js in my project but I don’t get true MVC in it. I think Backbone is more apt for MVC where the 3 components are kept independent very nicely. Whereas In angular.js I think there isnt a clear separation mixing models inside the views and then inside the controllers and using a two way binding. Should I be switching to backbone.js? I often feel Angular.js is very strange.

This is a really tough question. I’ve been learning ember.js and this is supposed to have a true MVC structure. The problem is that rails doesn’t follow what is traditionally called MVC. This is because rails is a server side framework while your javascript is client side. I’ve done a post about this on my blog concerning the differences between rails and ember but it’s something that doesn’t have a trivial answer. As far as I know there isn’t any client side framework that is very similar to rails and there are a lot of arguments that there shouldn’t be.

I think the developers need to understand what true MVC is and try to keep a clear separation between them. Even by using Backbone or Ember you could end up mixing everything. I guess it is all about experience so that tomorrow when we are looking at the code we dont end up getting lost in the maze.

Yehuda of Rails and Ember fame recently gave a talk about the distinctions between the various “MVC” patterns used by both Rails and some of the various javascript frameworks. You can find the talk here: http://confreaks.com/videos/2674-gogaruco2013-a-tale-of-two-mvc-s.

2 Likes