Mastering Git - Git Object Model

© 2012 - 2015 thoughtbot, inc. Upcase, the design of a robot, and thoughtbot are registered trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://thoughtbot.com/upcase/videos/git-object-model

@christoomey how did you make git status your default git command? At 16:48 you just type g instead of g s or whatever alias, and it shows you an abbreviated status.

Hey @munyari, the answer lies just ahead on the Mastering Git trail! You can find the configuration in the g Fall Through Shell Alias section of the Customizing Git video.

In addition, if you’d like to go even further, check out the Weekly Iteration episode on Githsh, a custom Git shell made by some of my colleagues here at thoughtbot. I’ve been using it as my primary Git interface of late and loving it.

@christoomey cheers, and thanks for all the awesome content!

@christoomey; superb - just a request - what is the tmux mapping that allows you to “watch” the objects folder in colour, and without explicitly repeating the command?

Hi @amosle, thanks for the kind words. I don’t have the exact tmux mapping saved anywhere unfortunately, but it looks like I’m using tmux send-keys to repeatedly send the command to the the secondary tmux pane. Something. Like

bind C-t send-keys -t 1 ‘tree -C -I “infopack” .git/objects’

This defines a tmux mapping bound to control t (after running the tmux prefix) that will send the command rag time it is run. Hope that clarifies!