Randomize filenames for paperclip upload

I transitioned from carrierwave to paperclip last week and am having trouble randomizing the filename of an upload. I had a custom method from carrierwave that took care of this, but can’t find the equivalent in paperclip.

I have a Logo model with photo attachment and store the files in a single directory. I found an article on the wiki about normalizing filenames, but that isn’t the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Here’s the attachment definition that did this for me on my last project:

has_attached_file :file,
    styles: { large: '620x410>' },
    convert_options: { all: '-strip' },
    s3_permissions: { original: :private },
    s3_headers: {
      'Cache-Control' => 'max-age=315576000',
      'Expires' => 10.years.from_now.httpdate
    },
    path: 'public/system/:class/:hash.:extension',
    url: '/system/:class/:hash.:extension',
    hash_secret: 'really-long-random-generated-string-not-publicly-accessible'

The key is the :hash interpolation and the :hash_secret argument. Here’s the bit from the readme on this: GitHub - thoughtbot/paperclip: Easy file attachment management for ActiveRecord

Thank you. I think I was misunderstanding the obfuscation section of the docs, thinking it still stored the original filename in the database. Is there an easy way I can shorten the hash?

This doesn’t work, but something like this? :hash[0..9].:extension

Update:
Taking a closer look, paperclip does store the original filename in the database, and a hashed version on s3. Unfortunately this will not work for my case as I am trying to randomize the filename stored in the database. Sorry for not making that point clearer.

Final Update:
Going back to the Wiki, under helpful articles, an article for normalizing filenames, referenced another article for randomizing filenames stored in the database.

So in the end, I followed that and added a private method and before_create method.

def randomize_file_name
    extension = File.extname(photo_file_name).downcase
    self.photo.instance_write(:file_name, "lgo#{Digest::SHA1.hexdigest((rand(12123123423) * Time.now.to_i).to_s)[0..9]}#{extension}")
  end

This is now working as expected and now I also understand more about the interpolations. Both are useful to know depending on what your needs are. I should have dug deeper into the wiki.