← Back to Upcase

Tmux Part 3: Navigation

(Panashe Fundira) #43

@captain_zoom Did you figure this out yet? I have the same issue except <C-h> works in non-vim contexts but fails to work in vim itself (using urxvt, bash and neovim)

(Panashe Fundira) #44

This is a neovim bug, and known issue https://github.com/neovim/neovim/issues/2048
It works just fine in regular vim, which sucks because nvim is my day to day.

Adding this to your init.vim will make the plugin work

if has('nvim')
  nmap <BS> <C-w>h
endif

(Ben Wiersma) #45

My prefix is C-Space and common shortcuts I use for navigating sessions and windows is <Prefix>-w which allows you to choose from the windows you have open.
Another is <Prefix>-s for navigating the sessions I have running.
Pane navigation I do using Ctrl-(h,j,k,l).

(Chris O'Donnell) #46

Hey Guys so for us non-OS users to copy and paste I used the Tmux-yank plugin located here: https://github.com/tmux-plugins/tmux-yank

Works the same or even better than the one Chris uses. Read the docs for it.

(staycreativedesign) #47

This is seriously the life saver I was looking for… Hearted and bookmarked and gisted :slight_smile:

(Eric Ti-Yu Chiang) #48

I use lxterminal with tmux, and am able to use the vim style copy and navigation in copy mode. But in order to paste to command line, I had to use <prefix> ]. Is there a better way to paste? Thanks.

(amitz) #49

This is an EXCELLENT workflow course. I have a quick question though - was there some trick involved in making J and K work in ‘choose-tree’? the man pages specifics only the arrow keys can be used.

(Chris Toomey) #50

@amitz Thanks for the kind words! You’ll need to set vi key bindings in tmux to make J and K work:

# in your ~/.tmux.conf
setw -g mode-keys vi

(amitz) #51

@christoomey oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t use the above copy/paste snippet as I mostly use mouse highlighting to copy from the terminal to the clipboard (I know, shame on me :-)). Thanks for clearing it up!

(ahillio) #52

Yes, lifechanging :slight_smile:

It ought to be stated that:

bind-key - split-window -v -c '#{pane_current_path}'
bind-key \ split-window -h -c '#{pane_current_path}'

…requires tmux v1.9 or greater.

(Martin Svangren) #53

If you are using tmux 2.4 or later, the instructions for enabling copy and paste on OS X will not work. These lines seem to be the 2.4 compatible equivalent of the suggested configuration:

# Use vim keybindings in copy mode
setw -g mode-keys vi

# Setup 'v' to begin selection as in Vim
bind-key -T copy-mode-vi v send -X begin-selection
bind-key -T copy-mode-vi y send -X copy-pipe-and-cancel "reattach-to-user-namespace pbcopy"

# Update default binding of `Enter` to also use copy-pipe
unbind -T copy-mode-vi Enter
bind-key -T copy-mode-vi Enter send -X copy-pipe-and-cancel "reattach-to-user-namespace pbcopy"

References: tmux 2.4 changelog and the man page section “Windows and panes”.

(Jon Seidel) #54

@amitz And how do you get mouse highlighting to work? I have to use
<Option><Command>
It works, but is really awkward.

(amitz) #55

@JESii I’m using urxvt terminal for that with xlip (I’m a Linux user). Here’s how the Tmux configuration looks like:

# Allowing you to copy on highlight into the primary clipboard
set -g mouse on
bind-key -t vi-copy MouseDragEnd1Pane copy-pipe "xclip -selection clipboard"
bind-key -t emacs-copy MouseDragEnd1Pane copy-pipe "xclip -selection clipboard"

(Jon Seidel) #56

Thanks, @amitz… That should be doable on OS X – I’ll give that a whirl!

OMG - with a little tweak for tmux 2.5 (I’m running on HEAD from brew) that worked – something I’ve been struggling with for quite some time.

First, there’s a breaking change in later versions of tmux (starting with 2.4, I believe): a “Fundamental change to how copy mode key bindings work” is described here.

In short, vi-copy (and emacs-copy) tables are “gone” and now referenced simply as ‘copy-mode’. Also the bind -t xxx becomes bind -T xxx. Not sure exactly how that works as my existing bind -t vi-copy xxx commands are not causing errors? So your command be becomes
bind-key -T copymode MouseDragEnd1Pane copy-pipe "reattach-to-user-namespace pbcopy"
on my system.

For a moment I thought it was broken until I realized that the selection goes immediately into the clipboard, without to follow the selection with <Cmd-v> to copy the selection: as soon as you let go of the mouse – poof – it’s there in the clipboard.

Awesome – thanks so much for the comment; really made my day (week? month?) :smile:

UPDATE - YMMV: This stuff seems to be changing quite a bit (or I’m copy/paste-challenged:). The above command worked on my personal system (compiled/installed from tmux master in Jan/2017 on either V2.3 or V2.4). When I ported the command to my Client system (home brew HEAD version just updated), it didn’t work and I had to change it to:
bind-key -T copy-mode-vi MouseDragEnd1Pane send -X copy-pipe "reattach-to-user-namespace pbcopy"
Notice the copy-mode-vi and send -X changes. I plan to port this back to my personal system and see if this one works both places.

(Jeremy Beasley) #58

Lifesaver. I started going done the rabbit hole to update the config file and find this. Many thanks.

@christoomey, you all may want to flag this note in the Copy and Paste section with this update for people who are running tmux >= v2.4.

(Arman Jon Villalobos) #59

@gbonfant your fish function is so awesome! Thank you :slight_smile:

(Ashwin Vidiyala) #60

I’ve tried every possible combination of commands and I still can’t get any of the copy mode stuff to work.