Design Brief: BCYC Website

Hi Kyle. Here’s my first stab at a design brief.

Design Brief for the redesign of http://www.baycityyachtclub.com

A brief summary of the business/site goals.

There are two main goals with the redesign of the Bay City Yacht Club website. First, bring the ownership and design of the site back inside the COOP. Second, ensure that the site works for all members and potential members regardless of what technology they are using (within reason).

The key users.

Visitor: Need to view information about the club with an easy way to contact someone if interested in joining.

Fan: Need to view upcoming public events/races along with past race results.

Member: Same ability as a fan, plus the ability to log into a private area for member specific information/functionality.

Admin: Same ability as a Member, plus the ability to manage events, users, etc.

Scenarios in which your app or site will be used.

• Visitor comes to the site to read information about the club (location, amenities, history, membership).
  • Fan comes to the site to see upcoming club events/races.
  • Fan comes to the site to see past race results.
  • Member comes to the site to subscribe/unsubscribe from mailing lists.
  • Member comes to the site to find another members contact information.
  • Member comes to the site to see current/past newsletters.
  • Member comes to the site to see Consitution.
  • Member comes to the site to see current Work Hours projects.

Design style principles to follow.

• Clean/Simple/Basic
  • Responsive
  • Accessible

@semmons99 I would zone in more on who the visitors / fans / members are. I imagine they are among a certain age with a certain income. I would also focus on the primary scenarios. This isn’t to say that the ones that you listed aren’t valid but there should be some that are more important than others. Lastly these should feed into the principles that you listed. These should be adjectives of what you want to the site to look like. I like to tell people that if your site was a person how would you describe it? Nice start though looking forward to seeing your sketches.

@kylefiedler Here’s my updated design brief. Let me know what you think. I feel like I’ve gotten a better handle on my users, but I’m not sure if I’ve let the scenarios run away again.

Design Brief for the redesign of http://www.baycityyachtclub.com

A brief summary of the business/site goals.

There are two main goals with the redesign of the Bay City Yacht Club website. First, bring the ownership and design of the site back inside the COOP. Second, ensure that the site works for all members and potential members regardless of what technology they are using.

The key users.

Visitor: A Visitor is someone interested in boating/sailing/fishing on the Saginaw Bay, or Lake Huron in general. They may be coming to find out about upcoming regattas, or looking for a home for their boat. Demographically they run the gamut, so we should promote extremely low membership dues compared to other local marinas (explaining the benefits of a COOP).

Fan: Fan’s are most often crew for some of the bigger boats that race weekly. They don’t have boats of their own don’t see a draw for other club services outside of helping their friends race.

Member: Member’s join the club and often (but not always) keep their boat at the club. Just like visitors, their demographics is varied from sailors with 50’ yachts to weekenders with small fishing boats.

Admin: Admin’s are members who must administer the site for all users.

Scenarios in which your app or site will be used.

• A Visitor, new to the area is looking for a place to keep their boat. We should clearly and simply explain to them the benefits of the BCYC.

• An out of town Visitor is looking for upcoming regattas to participate in. They should be able to easily find these upcoming events and know exactly what requirements are necessary for registration and what accommodations are provided.

• Racers, coming in from a race, should be able to use their mobile phones to access up-to-the-minute race results quickly.

• Members should be able to log into the site from any browser/device and quickly look up another members contact information.

• Someone visiting the site should be able to quickly see upcoming events.

Design style principles to follow.

• Clear
  • Simple
  • Quick
  • Accessible

This looks good @semmons99. Start sketching!

@kylefiedler Awesome! Is that part of week 2? I haven’t had that section unlocked yet if so.

@semmons99 SPOILER ALERT whoops yes it is. I guess I’m jumping the gun for you.