Intro to Rails - Using Rails 4?

I’m interested in using Rails 4 for this walkthrough as I’m concerned about learning Rails 3 before Rails 4. Should I be concerned? Would using Rails 4 for these lessons be fraught with obstacles?

If you’re new to Rails I’d probably stick to Rails 3 if that’s what the lessons are using. It won’t be hard to adapt to Rails 4 later on but you might hit a few issues trying to use it now without the experience.

Thanks @blakewilliams! Rails 3 it is :slight_smile:

it would be great if you could maybe do a little bit of a pre-setup screen cast of some sort. Getting rails 3 running on my mac instead of rails 4 was quite a bit of a headache.

I just went through the intro course using Rails 4, and it was pretty comparable. There were a few changes I had to make to the lessons to accommodate rails 4, particularly around mass assignment. Rails 4 uses strong parameters, which you’d need to add to your controller actions that take in parameters (such as a post).

Other than that, the lessons held up well. I don’t recall any other big hurdles I needed to get over to understand what was happening in the lesson and translate that to rails 4.

1 Like

Those of you who have had any trouble moving from Rails 3 to Rails 4, just be thankful this wasn’t a few years ago when the move was from Rails 2 to Rails 3. That was… not very fun.