← Back to Upcase

Unexplained core dump error


(Jacqueline S. Homan) #1

Ben Orenstein did a cute quick library app to demonstrate how to think when approaching TDD and beginning w/ writing the first spec test. I thought I would experiment a little and try to start a new similar app from scratch that way as well. However, after installing the capybara and rspec gems and doing bundle and the rails g rspec:install, and configuring the appropriate files, I wrote an integration “smoke test” ran rspec only to get this nasty terminal output that I am unable to fix, even after trying to file an issue with the Ruby Language site for bug reports. Any help at all would be appreciated:

(Here is the Gist file): https://gist.github.com/jacqueline-homan/8373175


(Geoff Harcourt) #2

@Jacqueline, I think before you get started, you should upgrade the patchlevel of Ruby 1.9.3 you’re using. Your computer has 1.9.3-p194 installed, but there have been several releases of Ruby 1.9.3 since then, with the most recent being 1.9.3-p484. A patchlevel upgrade should not result in any compatibility problems, but does ensure that known crashing bugs and security problems related specifically to the Ruby release will be fixed.


(Patrik Bóna) #3

I’ve had similar issue with different Ruby versions (1.9, 2.0 and also with 2.1). Ruby crashed almost all the time, when I initialised Gosu::Window. So in my case there was issue with Gosu gem.

Anyway I was googling it a lot and other people had similar issues with different gems, so try to remove every gem which is not necessary for your project. Maybe it will help. If not, then I am out of ideas :wink:


(Jacqueline S. Homan) #4

@geoffharcourt and @patrikbona: To be honest, I don’t know what caused it. I spent the better part of my entire Saturday scouring over all things Unix/Linux I could bring up on Google and I carefully retraced my steps in starting the app. My Ruby version was 2.0.0-p353, Rails 4.0.2. The only thing that might have triggered this that I can think of was if I had forgotten to add a line of code in my spec/spec_helper file in the RSpec config block:

config.include Capybara::DSL

I scrapped that app and started over, which is no big deal since I had nothing but one smoke test written and no other code yet in the original one. And all seems to be working fine now.

The problem with the core dump seems to have resolved itself, so I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth :smile:


(Luís Ferreira) #5

It could be due to some conflicting versions of gem being used. You should always use bundle exec, to make sure all the right gem versions are used.

Glad you got it fixed, though. :wink: