What are the best resources to learn Ember.js with Rails

I want to create an Ember.js application with Rails as the back end, and have no Idea where to start.

I have been looking around on google and it seems that the way to do it is using ember-cli however I have never used ember so I would like to learn.

Does anybody know any good resources for me to start?

Thanks

I know Treehouse and Codeschool have courses on Ember, but these are not free.

greetings,

Anthony

Weā€™re going to be launching an Ember Fundamentals trail quite soon.

Itā€™ll be basic, but get you started.

1 Like

Thanks guys

The ember cli 101 book is solid and gets regular updates as ember changes. It doesnā€™t really cover rails much, but the backend for the app that you build in the book is rails. It talks a little about using the right ember data adapter for active model serializers and touches on how to deploy with rails if youā€™re serving the ember assets to rails from amazon. Itā€™s pretty neat.

I havenā€™t used it yet, but ember-cli-rails looks like an easy way to manage an ember app inside rails. Thereā€™s another book called rocknroll with ember, or something like that, that uses a sinatra backend, but I havenā€™t read that one.

Man, I bought all these ember books but have to use angular at work. ug

1 Like

@evan have you got that book? If so does it go through nested routes and stuff?

Thanks!

yeah it does a nested friends/:id/articles/:id thing.

itā€™s a good book, my only issue is that the testing stuff is very sparse and it doesnā€™t cover auth. i have yet to find any good ember testing material.

Has creating Rails APIā€™s made the trials list yet?

To be more specific Iā€™m looking for good authentication tutorials / advice that doesnā€™t use Devise. It seems most API tutorials completely skip authentication & authorizationā€¦ even Thoughtbots ā€œiOS on railsā€ book glosses over the subject.

@scott I wrote a series of blog posts on deploying an ember-cli application with a rails backend using Heroku for the Rails side and divshot for ember-cli. Hereā€™s the first one.

@scott weā€™ve also now released the first three exercises for the ember fundamentals trail and Iā€™d love some feedback!

itā€™s devise and itā€™s angular, but the devise token auth readme has a good overview on secure api auth. The conceptual and security sections are probably the most interesting/relevant.

@MattMSumner nice blog post :), I will try and go through the trail today, I have found that Ember has a much steeper learning curve. Have you done anything other than github authentication in Ember?

This is my preference, but I think diving into open source projects is the best way to quickly learn new frameworks. My initial problem with learning Ember was that most of the examples/tutorials were trivial, and some of the first projects (i.e. Discourse and Balanced) were too complex to wrap my head around.

I highly recommend taking a look at Ghost as it is a simple enough domain to get into your head, but is also more substantial than a todo list.

Also, make sure you have the Ember Inspector. I cannot overstate how essential it is for overcoming the initial learning curve.

2 Likes

I might be late to the party, but I found a great tutorial for Ember on Rails.

ember.vicramon.com

@dolphorama I see youā€™re from Austin! Are you down to some pair programming? Iā€™d love to up my Ember+Rails skills first-hand.

just found a new Ember video tutorial on Tuts+

The ember cli 101 book is the best one on the subject, I have been creating production applications with ember for some time now. I think that coming from rails it should be very straight forward. I think that because I am learning ruby and rails and I can see the similarities. The best way to learn is using ember cli and localstorage for creating a simple app, understan routes and models, create components, etc