Intro to Dotfiles

Intro to Dotfiles In this weeks episode, Chris & Gabe dive into the world of dotfiles, the files we use to configure some of our favorite tools. Tune in to find out how Chris, Gabe, and thoughtbot think about and organize these critical files. I...
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://thoughtbot.com/upcase/videos/intro-to-dotfiles

I really like how @christoomey does the git aliases. Better than git aliases that comes with oh-my-zsh git plugin defaults. Is there a plugin for vim where I can select a section of config lines and it makes each line alphabetical automatically? :smiley:

Thanks @antwonlee. Vim has a built in :sort command which you can use, but I wanted to be able to use text objects so I made a plugin sort motion.

@christoomey SICKTASTIC. Your resources alone make upcase so freaking worth it.

1 Like

@christoomey, love the video!

I like how vim can be set locally with a “.vimrc.local” file…

I had a question regarding altering ftplugin behavior. Is there a way to change markdown behavior (undoing setlocal textwidth=80) without changing the dotfiles themselves also?

Hmm the transcript has " Antigen for zsh which acts as a plaguing downloaded and manager for zsh."

While I appreciate the antigen/plague pun, I think you meant something like “a plugin downloader and manager for zsh”

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the pointer @josephgrossberg! All fixed now.

Hi. Thanks for the episode!

Looking into latest version of vimrc in Gabe’s dotfiles on GitHub. Would be interesting to know why he switched back to using a single large file :thinking:

I have been using dotfiles of thoughtbot with my changed one, but I like Chris dotfiles, how can I easily use them with thoughtbot or should I remove all thoughtbots and use chris files only.