← Back to Upcase

Show Your Setup: Joe Ferris

(Upcase ) #1
In this episode, Joe demonstrates his setup for development including: How he uses rcm to combine the thoughtbot dotfiles with his own customizations How he uses MacVim, vim-rspec, and OS X Terminal to streamline TDD How he uses snippets to quic...
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://thoughtbot.com/upcase/videos/show-your-setup-joe-ferris

(Brian) #2

@jferris I don’t see the reload-chrome script in your dotfiles. Is this a script you wrote?

(Brian) #3

Never mind I googled a solution.

#!/usr/bin/osascript

tell application "Safari"
    set docUrl to URL of document 1

set URL of document 1 to docUrl
end tell

(Chris Toomey) #4

There is also a commandline executable, chrome-cli that was recently released that allows you to script Chrome. It includes a number of commands for listing open tabs, reloading tabs, activating tabs, etc.

Available via homebrew, brew install chrome-cli

(Andy Waite) #5

@jferris any chance you could push your latest dot files to GitHub? There was a few things in the video that I couldn’t find in your config (seems to be from 3 years ago, or am I looking in the wrong place?).

EDIT:

I just realised you have two repos, config_files and dotfiles - the former shows up on your GitHub profile because it has way more stars, but it looks like the latter is more up to date.

(Joe Ferris) #6

Yes, sorry: this is what I’m actually using now: https://github.com/jferris/dotfiles

I left config_files up because a bunch of people were using them and forked them, and I didn’t want to rain on anybody’s parade when I switch over to thoughtbot’s dotfiles.

(Brian Dear) #7

Shouldn’t this actually be titled, “Show your setup: The legendary Joe Ferris” ?

Just saying.

(Jerome Giudicelli) #8

Regarding iterm and tmux, 1 reason to use iterm is that it allows copy-and-paste with the mouse when using tmux.
In my testing, with the same .tmux.conf, this worked with iterm but not with terminal.

(Brian Douglas) #9

I have recently switch to VIM this past weekend, and did not know you could do all the things in this video.

To run test from vim, do I need to install a plugin or do I need to update the dotfile?(haven’t done any customization in that yet)

(Geoff Harcourt) #10

@brianllamar, Joe and other thoughtbot folks are using vim-rspec to run tests from Vim.

(Anthony Lee) #11

hahaha gsearch and greplace made me laugh out so loud. oh my. I just installed vim-rspec, and it saves so much time!