Navigating Ruby Files with Vim files for download

Perhaps I am missing a very obvious tool, but when the accompanying files to the videos are in markdown format, I have to go through a number of steps before I can view them / print them. Is there some reason they can’t be in pdf format or at least as a gist? It seems odd to ask someone to download an html file (which if you inspect the file is essentially what it is).

I could be missing something, though. Am I?

I had the same problem. I tried a number of different Markdown capable editors, but the files all seem to be a strange mix of HTML and Markdown that doesn’t render properly. I ended up making my own PDF’s out of a few of them.

Perhaps someone from thoughtbot can weigh in on this?

Sure, though maybe we can just ask Drew about it.

@DrewNeil - Any chance you have a version of these files that doesn’t have HTML intermingled?

Either way, I think it’s reasonable to get these in a slightly more human-readable format and get the files re-uploaded.

Thanks!

I wrote these markdown documents using Vim and I use Marked to render them as HTML. I’d say that Marked is the “very obvious tool” that @philipbradley was missing. It’s not free, but version 1 is a steal at $3.99. Here’s a screenshot of the cheatsheet, rendered by marked using the Github theme.

I could export the HTML as rendered by Marked to a PDF, but the results are not spectacular. It doesn’t handle page-breaks particularly well. I thought that it was better to provide raw markdown source files and give readers the choice of how they format it.

I don’t know why it’s not rendering properly for you @bayendor, but the markdown spec allows HTML tags inside of markdown documents:

For any markup that is not covered by Markdown’s syntax, you simply use HTML itself. There’s no need to preface it or delimit it to indicate that you’re switching from Markdown to HTML; you just use the tags.

Thank you @DrewNeil . Marked app acquired; how sad that it isn’t on page one of a “markdown viewer” search. I didn’t like the look of the other offerings, but Marked looks like a bargain, as you said.

Don’t regard my earlier issue as evidence of any deep unhappiness; if you knew how many hours I have spent in my bathroom, reading “Practical Vim” and giggling with delight as the once arcane internals of that editor wove themselves into my thoughts and workflow…well, you would be happy.

I named my daughter’s two gerbils Drew and Neil in your honor.

(that last part is untrue; the gerbils are named Peanut and Cheeto, but maybe they will have offspring some day?)

Thanks again for all your contributions.

pb

2 Likes