← Back to Upcase

Setting up Thoughtbot Dotfiles for Vim-Rails / Changing the Shell

(David Lee) #1

Hi,

I was interested in getting the Thoughtbot dotfiles setup on my machine. I ran the one command, chsh -s /bin/zsh, as specified in the and it looks like a lot has changed. I can’t even start up the rails server and get the following message when I try to:

Rails is not currently installed on this system. To get the latest version, simply type:

$ sudo gem install rails

You can then rerun your "rails" command.

Can someone point me in the right direction? How would I change it back to the way it was? Thanks!

(Sean Griffin) #2

Are you using RVM or rbenv for your ruby installation? If so, you need to make sure that either

eval "$(rbenv init -)"

or

source $HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm

are added to your ~/.zshrc file. If you want to change things back, you just need to run

chsh -s /bin/bash

(David Lee) #3

@seangriffin thanks for the reply! I am using rvm and added the appropriate line to my .zshrc file, but no luck (same response prompting rails installation). This is what my .zshrc file contains:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.rvm/bin # Add RVM to PATH for scripting
source $HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm

Am I missing something?

(Sean Griffin) #4

Not that I can think of. You’ve restarted your terminal and whatnot? You can also try running rehash and see if that helps.

(David Lee) #5

Restarting terminal did the trick, so now zshell is running as expected. Thank you.