Want to pair on some Algorithm stuff?

I am wanting to get myself listed on toptal.com and part of the interview process is solving some problems on codility.com I have learned that many developers gets stuck at this step because the problems are algorithmic array manipulation which isn’t usually what we do in Web Development. I have been tackling some codility.com problems and they are actually a really fun challenge but would be even more fun with a pair. Does anyone want to pair with me on one of these? We would use Tmate & Vim to share a session and Rspec & Ruby to test drive our solutions and then we just copy and paste them into the codility.com online editor.

If you know of a better community to find people to pair with, please suggest.

1 Like

Hey there, this sounds really fun actually. I’m also very keen to be working for Toptal but I’m not sure if I’m quite at the level. I would guess I’m an intermediate level developer, happy with building most things but definitely learning a lot every day. Anyhow, it would be great to pair on this and see if we could help eachother.

That sounds great @tommotaylor

Don’t worry about being at the right level. I have never tried to teach Algorithm stuff and as soon as I do, I’ll get better at it because I forced my brain to understand it deeper to be able to talk about it. So even if I end up just teaching you what I know, it will be a great benefit to me. Also, I regularly get stuck with it, so having someone to be stuck with will be more fun than without.

It would be best to try and put a time on the calendar, I like being spontaneous but ALL notifications except phone calls are turned off because they pull me off task, so there is no way to tell me “Hey I am available now”

What do you think we should block off, 60 minutes? 90 Minutes?

I am in Cape Town so GMT+2
What time zone are you in?

On most week days I can work on this during office hours, 9am to 5pm my time. Or 8pm to 10pm after the kids are in bed.

You still doing this? I’d be interested to meet up and pair.