Design Brief: Proksi

Hi @kylefiedler,

New subscriber to Upcase, and looking forward to be a better designer → developer than I am today. These app is a contest on our organization, so I’m together with a fellow developer too, where gonna be using Rails / Angular for our app. This is just a fun app, but I want to treat it as a real app too, so with these course I hope we could create a more reality app, and I think the idea is cool too :smile:

Proksi Design Brief

A brief summary of the business / site goals.

• To help students or people looking for a small time jobs like errands,
    homeworks & also looking for help on their own.

The key users.

• People looking for jobs to do in the weekends, or errands in their location for
    a fee.

• People looking for help on their work, fixing a cabinet, repairing broken
    sinks, or just want a nanny for a day

Scenarios in which your app or site will be used.

• People will check out the app to look for additional work or tasks in and
    around there area

• People will check out the app to post a small time job for their location

• People check out the app and find out a job they want, so they message that
    person to be able to inquire more information.

@iamajvillalobos This looks great so far. I would put your focus on one of those Scenarios. Think about the job that the user is hiring the app to do. I would also look at competition in this case: Taskrabbit & Postmates come to mind.

@kylefiedler Thanks for the input! I never know there are apps like these, I think Taskrabbit model is where are app looks closely related. The thing is we got 2 users, 1) I want to see what jobs are there available around my location; 2) I want to post a job around my location.

Do you think we should focus to just one for now? Also in the course it’s stating like Week 1, Week 2, does the course supposed to be like, watch a tutorial, create something, post in forums for critique, repeat? Or like I could just consume the whole course first then create something?

The thing is we got 2 users, 1) I want to see what jobs are there available around my location; 2) I want to post a job around my location.

Personally I would focus on one group, probably group 2. Make the experience awesome for them and the other group will come. I would approach getting group 1 by different traction models than group 2.

Also in the course it’s stating like Week 1, Week 2, does the course supposed to be like, watch a tutorial, create something, post in forums for critique, repeat? Or like I could just consume the whole course first then create something?

I made the course to watch the first video, work on project, post to forums and repeat. But of course you can work on it which ever way you want.

Personally I would focus on one group, probably group 2. Make the experience awesome for them and the other group will come. I would approach getting group 1 by different traction models than group 2.

@kylefiedler Thanks! Could you give more info on traction models? Like examples maybe? I’m hesitant because if we made the focus to 2nd group, how do users talk to each other? I mean you can post a job, but can’t search? Are they in such a way intangible?

I made the course to watch the first video, work on project, post to forums and repeat. But of course you can work on it which ever way you want.

Yes! I’m into colors now, just taking down notes as I watch and apply it on this project. I just want to get most of my subscription :), also the resources are bunch! Thanks for that.

@iamajvillalobos I suggest reading: Amazon.com

The models they list out there are:
Viral Marketing
Public Relations (PR)
Unconventional PR
Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
Social and Display Ads
Offline Ads
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Content Marketing
Email Marketing Engineering as Marketing
Target Market Blogs
Business Development (BD)
Sales
Affiliate Programs
Existing Platforms
Trade Shows
Offline Events
Speaking Engagements
Community Building

For you in particular, I would think that reaching out to people personally that want to do these jobs might be the most effective way of getting usage.

@kylefiedler Thank you again! These are great resources, I would try to get a copy of this book in the weekend. Thank you for all the inputs here.