Swift Or RubyMotion?

Hello,

I am new to develop IPhone applications and I don’t know if it’s better to learn Swift or RubyMotion. I am a Ruby developper. I seen videos about Swift on Upcase. Why Toughtbot choose Swift. @jferris’s advices can be useful here.

Thanks!

To be honest either is a good choice. if you need to create an android app as well and don’t want to learn scala or Java, then ruby motion is the better choice. If you don’t need to have an android version then swift is s great way to go. In the end it’s six of one half a dozen of the other.

If you already know Ruby and don’t mind spending the money on RubyMotion, I would suggest starting with that.

Much of what you’ll need to learn about is understanding the iOS frameworks (UIKit etc.), and that knowledge will be transferrable if you choose to move over to Swift.

If you start with Swift then you need to learn many new things at once - the XCode IDE, the Swift language, and the frameworks.

I’m a iOS developer at thoughtbot and have no ruby experience so I’m probably biased, but I think you should learn Swift. Ruby Motion is fine and all but if you’re using the Apple supported way of doing things you’ll benefit from the most support and community when you’re trying to learn or debug issues. There are so many great resources for learning Swift that I don’t think you’ll have a problem. Also, I believe in being multilingual. Using other languages can show you new and interesting ways to do things that can trickle into your other knowledge and perhaps improve your coding. Finally, if you’re using Swift and Xcode you can guarantee that you’ll have access to all the fun and new stuff that comes out every year immediately.

3 Likes